I would love to say I have made this but I do intend to try it this weekend to take to a party, I will let you know if my version looks anything like this…
- 300ml thickened cream
- 3 lemongrass stems, bruised
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 gold-strength gelatine leaves
- 2 mangoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 1/3 cups (200g) plain flour
- 100g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- 1/3 cup (30g) desiccated coconut
- 1 tbs icing sugar, plus extra to dust
- Place the cream and lemongrass in a pan over medium heat. Bring to just below boiling point, then remove from the heat and set aside for 1 hour to infuse.
- Step 2Meanwhile, for pastry, whiz flour, butter, coconut and icing sugar in a processor to combine. Add 3 tbs chilled water, then process until mixture comes together in a ball. Enclose in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Roll pastry on a lightly floured surface to 2mm thick. Use to line a greased 10cm x 34cm loose-bottomed tart pan. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Step 3Preheat oven to 180°C. Line pastry with baking paper and pastry weights or uncooked rice. Blind-bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and weights, then return to oven for 5 minutes or until golden, crisp and dry (cook for 2-3 minutes longer if necessary, but keep checking). Cool.
- Step 4Beat yolks and sugar with electric beaters until thick and pale. Add cream, discarding lemongrass. Soak gelatine in cold water for 5 minutes. Return cream mixture to pan on low heat and stir for 2-3 minutes until thickened slightly. Remove from heat. Squeeze excess water from gelatine, then add to pan and stir to dissolve. Cool completely, then pour into tart case. Chill for 2-3 hours until firm, then top with overlapping mango slices.
Recipe from Delicious magazine